This Inside-Out Egg Roll Bowl recipe is a delicious way to deliver a heaping helping of veggies. Add some pork, chicken or tofu to boost the flavor and add more protein. Once you ditch the fried egg roll wrapper, you are left with the delicious, healthy egg roll insides.
I am always trying to come up with ideas on how to make "naughty" foods a bit more healthy but still taste great.
What can be more naughty than deep fried egg rolls? They are sooo good.
Hence, the inside out egg roll bowl recipe was born.
Below I share what ingredients are in an egg roll, how to cook them and most importantly...
... the magical sauce that brings it all together: it's sweet, tangy and savory all in one. Yum.
This inside out egg roll stir fry will soon be a family favorite, at the expense of your local Chinese restaurant.
Ingredients in an egg roll
Just about any egg roll starts with shredded cabbage. The other ingredients are more variable. My egg roll ingredients include:
- ground pork
- chopped cabbage
- sliced onion
- green onion (chopped)
- mushroom (chopped)
- fresh ginger and garlic (diced)
Other optional veggies that would be great are: carrots (julienned), broccoli (chopped), or peapods. Feel free to be creative and add what you think your family will like.
How to make inside out egg roll bowls
This inside egg roll stir fry comes together very quickly. It is important to have all your veggies, spices, and sauce ready to go and organized when the cooking starts.
Nerdy culinary trivia: this is called "mise en place."
Prep your veggies
First, chop up all the veggies, ginger and garlic.
Make the sauce
This sauce is magical: it brings boring vegetables to life. It's just a matter of mixing ingredients in a bowl and setting aside.
- hoisin sauce (sweet fruity awesomeness)
- soy sauce (umami and salt)
- Asian fish sauce (even more umami)
- brown sugar (sweetness)
- rice vinegar (sour and acid)
- sesame oil (rich, nutty flavor)
Begin the stir fry
Pre-heat a large skillet or wok to medium/high.
The first step is to brown the ground pork, drain excess fat, and set aside.
Next, add a bit of oil and stir fry all of your veggies and spices for about 5 minutes.
Last, add in your ground pork and "magic sauce," then stir fry for an additional 1-2 minutes.
How to serve inside out egg roll stir fry
You can serve this over rice, Asian noodles, or nothing: we often just it put in a bowl and serve. It's so loaded up with filling veggies (especially cabbage!) that we don't even miss the carbs.
Lately, I have been having fun with this by serving as a lettuce wrap. We dollop a spoonful of this mixture on a leaf of Bibb lettuce, wrap it up and enjoy. This is a lower carb option too!
Or . . . you could wrap up this fabulous mix into some egg roll wrappers, deep fry them, and have the best freakin' egg rolls ever. . . WHOOPS! Did I just say that?!
Other Asian dishes you might enjoy
Bun Cha (Vietnamese Meatball Noodle Bowls)
"Real Deal" Beef Pho Noodle Soup
Michelle's Sweet and Zingy Asian Meatballs
The Stir-Fry from Hell
Kohlrabi Noodle Stir-fry
Pork-Miso Ramen Soup with Soy-Marinated Egg
Or, if you're looking for more lower-carb recipes, check out:
That's all there is to it! An "egg roll" you can feel good about eating. I hope you love Inside-Out Pork Egg Roll Bowls as much as we do!
P.S. Do you like easy dinner strategies like this?
Check out my how-to article, Mastering Easy One-Pot Meal Recipes!
For the sauce:
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce, (see Recipe Note #1)
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar, (See Recipe Note #2)
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
For the meat and vegetables:
- 1 lb ground pork, (you can also use turkey, chicken, or beef)
- 2 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, large dice or sliced into large quarter-rings (you can use red, yellow, or white onions)
- 1 1-inch cube ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 2 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 8 oz shiitake or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions,, chopped in large sections (see Recipe Note #3)
Other vegetable options: up to 1.5 additional cups of the following (mix and match)
- carrots, peeled and sliced on the bias
- broccoli florets
- cauliflower florets
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the peanut or vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and brown, stirring frequently and breaking into small chunks, as it cooks, 8–10 minutes or until uniformly browned. Drain and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the skillet along with the onion. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the mushrooms, cabbage, and scallions (white and light green parts). Lid the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, ~5 minutes, or until the cabbage has cooked down slightly.
- Add the ground pork back to the pan along with the green scallion tops and sauce. Stir to combine. Dish into bowls and serve.
- If you are on a strict low-carb diet, hoisin sauce is a no-no. You can make your own low-carb version, or omit the sauce and add ¼ cup more soy sauce mixed with an additional 1 teaspoon Splenda (on top of what you add for the substitution in Recipe Note #2).
- You can substitute 1.5 tablespoon of honey, or use Splenda.
- Chop the scallions into ~1-inch sections, keeping the white and light green bottoms separated from the dark green tops, which get added later.
- Meal-prep/work-ahead: chop the vegetables and make the sauce the day before you plan to serve the Inside-Out Pork Egg Roll Bowls.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: ~2 cups of meat and vegetable mix
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 1195mgCarbohydrates: 28gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 7gSugar: 15gProtein: 27g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate: if you are tracking this information for medical purposes, please consult a trusted external source. Thanks!