Vibrant, Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa is perfect served with tortilla chips or as a garnish for fish and meats. Using flash-frozen mango chunks not only simplifies the prep, but it also means that you can enjoy this salsa any time of year!
This recipe was inspired by a healthy dish I enjoyed at the Rock Bottom Brewery in Milwaukee. The standout of the meal was a delicious, spicy salsa that I resolved to recreate at home. The result, my Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa recipe, is incredibly easy to make, particularly because I use flash-frozen mango chunks. No peeling and coring needed!
Tomatoes are noticeably absent from this salsa. This is because first time that I made fiery mango-habanero salsa, it was in the middle of winter. Tomatoes are gross, pale, and mealy at this time of year. So, Phil and I both decided that we liked it better without. But we do add in sweet red bell pepper.
Making Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa
We partially cook the salsa. To start, we build flavor by sauteing the habañero with a bit of red onion and mango. Then, we give the salsa a nice, citrusy flavor in the background from an orange juice reducing step. Finally, we take the salsa off the heat and add in the remaining ingredients.
About the habañeros. I put in two, AND a minced jalapeño pepper. But we are chiliheads in this household. If you are heat-averse, you could…ahem…leave out the habañeros and only use the jalapeño. I won’t tell anyone. (And, if you’re really, REALLY heat-averse, leave out the hot peppers altogether. The salsa will still be delicious.)
I like to chill the Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa before serving. The salsa’s flavor improves as it sits in the refrigerator. It IS just fine warm, though. This observation comes from the hubster, after he dives in with a tortilla chip the second that I pull the spoon out of the saucepan.
Once you have a batch Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa on hand, you’ll use it with just about everything: not only is it fantastic simply with chips, tortillas, or rice, but also served atop fish fillets, grilled chicken, steak, and more.
This photo shows the salsa served with a baked tilapia loin and rice. It’s a very healthy dinner you can make in a flash and tastes incredible. I hope this salsa is a hit with your family!
I’m sharing my Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa recipe with:
- #CookBlogShare, a great food blogger recipe-share, hosted this week by Everyday Healthy Recipes.
- #CookOnceEatTwice, for recipes that are just as good left-over as they are when you made them, hosted by Searching for Spice.
- #RecipeOfTheWeek hosted by A Mummy Too.
- #BrillBlogPosts, a link party with a variety of lifestyle reads hosted by Honest Mum.
Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 habanero - seeded and finely minced (I use 2, but the Frank family are chili heads. Proceed with caution!)
- 1 medium red onion - finely chopped, divided
- 3/4 cup mango - finely diced (see Recipe Note #1)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar or splenda
- 1 jalapeno pepper - seeded and finely minced
- 2 scallions - sliced, white and green portions
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper - seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro - chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt - or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper - or to taste
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of the red onion and the habanero pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, and then add the mango. Saute and additional minute.
- Adjust heat to medium-high and add the orange juice; reduce by half, 5–8 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Check for seasoning, adjusting as necessary. Chill before serving or eat warm.
- I use flash-frozen mango chunks for easier prep.
NOTE: you can refrigerate the salsa in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Don’t miss a thing!
|Pico de gallo: this fresh, spicy salsa is the perfect way to use up garden tomatoes. Perfect with chips, over rice, or as a garnish for meat.|
|Salsa verde: a delicious salsa made with roasted poblanos, charred onions and tomatillos.|
|Cheesy Picante Chicken Quesadillas: a perfect meal for busy weeknights. Spicy and meltey, they’re sure to be a hit with the kids.|