Marinated Vegetable-Beef Kebabs
Marinated Vegetable-Beef Kebabs are ideal for weekend cookouts. This dish is well-suited to meal prep, since you can cut up the vegetables and meat, make the marinade, and marinate the meat in advance. Assembling the skewers can be a fun activity with kids!
Servings 6 –8
FOR THE MARINADE
- 2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Maggi seasoning sauce
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp dried Greek oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp chili-garlic sauce (a.k.a. sambal oelek; optional)
FOR THE KEBABS
- 2 lb beef tenderloin trimmed and cut into 1 1/2–1 3/4" cubes (see Recipe Note #1)
- 1 large red onion peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 large green bell peppers stemmed, seeded, and cut into large pieces
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms (also called baby portobellos)
- 8 oz cherry or grape tomatoes
Prepare the marinade. Add approximately half of the marinade to the beef; reserve the other half for the vegetables. Marinate beef, refrigerated, overnight (or for 30 minutes at room temperature). Marinate the vegetables for 30 minutes at room temperature. If you're using bamboo skewers, soak them in water while the vegetables marinate.
Assemble beef skewers, hard vegetable skewers (onion + peppers + mushrooms), and tomato skewers. Reserve the vegetable marinade. Grill the meat directly over the coals for 3 minutes per side with the lid closed, for a total of 8–12 minutes (see Recipe Note #2). While the meat cooks, lightly char the hard vegetable skewers for 3–4 minutes on two sides, then move to indirect heat. Place the tomato skewers over indirect heat until soft, but not exploded, 5–7 minutes, flipping once. Remove skewers from grill. Rest the meat for 10 minutes. Drizzle the meat and vegetables with the reserved vegetable marinade; serve.
- You can also use sirloin steak.
- 8–12 minutes corresponds to approximately rare–medium.