Thai Green Curry
This is an easy recipe that comes together crazy-fast, but has a ton of flavor. You will want to have a lot of these ingredients in your pantry and freezer, so they're a good investment! Serve over jasmine or basmati rice.
Servings 4 -6
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 13.5 oz good-quality coconut milk (1 can, unshaken)
- 1 tbsp green curry paste or to taste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 kaffir leaves
- 2 stalks lemon grass tender white center only, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced thinly on the bias
- 2 jalapeños or to taste, seeded (or not!) and sliced
- 2 small red Thai chiles thinly sliced—IF YOU LIKE IT HOT!
- 2 scallions cut into 1-inch sections, then sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 4 boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized chunks (or use shrimp)
- cilantro coarsely chopped
- Thai basil coarsely chopped
- Juice of half of 1 lime
Clean chicken or meat under cold, running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat a wok over medium heat. Swirl in the peanut oil and add the onions and carrots. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and lemon grass; sauté for 1 minute. Move the vegetables to the sides of the wok. Scrape the cream from the top of the can of coconut milk and add to the center of the wok. Add the curry paste and gently stir into the cream. Sauté until fragrant. If using meat or chicken, add now; sauté until brown (about 5 minutes). Stir in the remaining coconut milk. Add the fish sauce, peppers, chiles, and kaffir leaves; stir to combine.
Simmer until the meat is done (see Recipe Note #1). Add the lime juice and herbs, stir to combine. Serve over jasmine or basmati rice, garnished with the scallion strips. (Don't eat the kaffir leaves!)
- Off-the-bone chicken will take approximately 20 minutes. If you use bone-in chicken breasts or thighs, plan for about 45 minutes: the chicken should be 165º F according to an instant-read thermometer, or make an incision next to the bone with a paring knife to ensure that the meat isn't pink and that the juices run clear.