Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa
Vibrant, Fiery Mango-Habanero Salsa is perfect served with tortilla chips or as a garnish for fish and meats. Using flash-frozen mango chunks not only simplifies the prep, but it also means that you can enjoy this salsa any time of year!
Servings 6 –8
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 habanero seeded and finely minced (I use 2, but the Frank family are chili heads. Proceed with caution!)
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped, divided
- 3/4 cup mango finely diced (see Recipe Note #1)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar or splenda
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely minced
- 2 scallions sliced, white and green portions
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste
Add the olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of the red onion and the habanero pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, and then add the mango. Saute and additional minute.
Adjust heat to medium-high and add the orange juice; reduce by half, 5–8 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Check for seasoning, adjusting as necessary. Chill before serving or eat warm.
- I use flash-frozen mango chunks for easier prep.
NOTE: you can refrigerate the salsa in an airtight container for up to 1 week.