Piquant Cabbage-Bacon-Onion Saute
Piquant Cabbage-Bacon-Onion Saute is a perfect side dish for roasted meat—but especially for pork. With just a few healthful ingredients, this side comes together in short order. You'll need a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 – 6
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 strips thick bacon cut into lardons
- 1 Vidalia onion cut into thin half-rings
- 5 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tbsp sugar see Recipe Note #1
Heat the olive oil and bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté, stirring frequently, until crispy, 8–12 minutes. Remove the lardons to a bowl and set aside.
Keep 1 tbsp of the bacon fat/olive oil mixture in the skillet and add the onions. Sauté over medium heat until soft and translucent, 3–5 minutes.
Add the cabbage; sprinkle 2 tbsp of water over the top. Lid the skillet and turn heat to low. Sauté until soft, stirring occasionally and checking the softness of the cabbage, until it's done to your liking, about 10–12 minutes.
Remove the lid from the skillet and allow any remaining water to evaporate. Sprinkle the rice vinegar over the top and add in the mustard, sugar, and bacon lardons. Mix well and serve.
- I use Splenda rather than sugar. You can also substitute 1/2 tbsp of honey or agave nectar (or to taste).