Inside-Out Pork Egg Roll Bowls
All the deliciousness of egg rolls, but lighter and in bowl form. Inside-Out Pork Egg Roll Bowls are a great way to use up vegetables. Meal-prep in advance by chopping the vegetables and mixing up the sauce. This recipe works best with a large wok or skillet with a lid. Although I like to eat this stir-fry by itself, it's also wonderful over brown or basmati rice.
Servings 6 –8
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce (see Recipe Note #1)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (See Recipe Note #2)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
For the meat and vegetables:
- 1 lb ground pork (you can also use turkey, chicken, or beef)
- 2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, large dice or sliced into large quarter-rings (you can use red, yellow, or white onions)
- 1 1-inch cube ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely minced
- 8 oz shiitake or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped in large sections (see Recipe Note #3)
Other vegetable options: up to 1.5 additional cups of the following (mix and match)
- carrots, peeled and sliced on the bias
- broccoli florets
- cauliflower florets
Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of the peanut or vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and brown, stirring frequently and breaking into small chunks, as it cooks, 8–10 minutes or until uniformly browned. Drain and set aside.
Add the other tbsp of oil to the skillet along with the onion. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the mushrooms, cabbage, and scallions (white and light green parts). Lid the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, ~5 minutes, or until the cabbage has cooked down slightly.
Add the ground pork back to the pan along with the green scallion tops and sauce. Stir to combine. Dish into bowls and serve.
- If you are on a strict low-carb diet, hoisin sauce is a no-no. You can make your own low-carb version, or omit the sauce and add 1/4 cup more soy sauce mixed with an additional 1 tsp Splenda (on top of what you add for the substitution in Recipe Note #2).
- You can substitute 1.5 tbsp of honey, or use Splenda.
- Chop the scallions into ~1-inch sections, keeping the white and light green bottoms separated from the dark green tops, which get added later.
- Meal-prep/work-ahead: chop the vegetables and make the sauce the day before you plan to serve the Inside-Out Pork Egg Roll Bowls.